JCL Comprehensive Exam References
Review questions for JCL Comprehensive Exam
Return to Comps Review Page
Book III - The Teaching Function of the Church (cc. 747-755)
- What does the Church do with the deposit of faith entrusted to it by Christ and with the assistance of the Holy Spirit (c. 747 §1)?
- What things that flow from the deposit of faith does the Church have the duty and the right to announce (c. 747 §2)?
- Who possesses infallibility in teaching (c. 749)?
- Under what conditions is a specific teaching understood to be infallible (c. 749)?
- What is the solemn magisterium? The ordinary and universal magisterium (c. 750 §1)?
- What things must be believed with divine and Catholic faith (c. 750 §1)?
- What is the consequence of rejecting something that is to be believed with divine and Catholic faith (c. 750 §1)?
- What things are to be firmly embraced and retrained (c. 750 §2)?
- What is the consequence of rejecting something that is to be firmly embraced and retained (see also cc. 750 §2 and 1371)?
- What things must be given the religious submission of intellect and will though not the assent of faith (c. 752)?
- What things are to be adhered to with religious submission of mind (c. 753)?
- What is heresy? Apostasy? Schism (c. 751)?
- Who are authentic teachers and instructors of the faith (c. 753)?
Title I - The Ministry of the Divine Word (cc. 756-780)
- Who has a duty to proclaim or witness to the divine word (cc. 756-759)?
- The ministry of the divine word is divided into what two means of proclaiming Christian doctrine, indicated by the two chapters within this title?
- Who has the right to preach everywhere? Who has the presumed faculty to preach everywhere unless this faculty is restricted (cc. 763-765)?
- Who can be permitted to preach and who is permitted to give a homily (c. 767)?
- In what ways must the proclamation of Christian doctrine be adapted to those who receive it (e.g. cc. 769 and 771)?
- Who has a special duty to see that catechetical instruction is imparted (cc. 773 and 774)?
- Who has the authority to issue a catechism (c. 775)?
Title II - The Missionary Action of the Church (cc. 781-792)
- What obligations does a diocesan bishop have in promoting the missionary action of the Church (cc. 782 §2, 790, 791, and 792)?
- What stages does a person pass through who wants to enter into full communion in the Church (cc. 788 and 789)?
Title III - Catholic Education (cc. 793-821)
- Who has the obligation and the right of educating children (cc. 793 and 794)?
- What is a Catholic school in the eyes of the code (c. 800 §§1 and 3)?
- What rights does a local ordinary have in exercising vigilance over teachers of religion (c. 805)?
- Over what schools does a diocesan bishop have the right of visitation (c. 806 §1)?
- What is an ecclesiastical university versus an ecclesiastical faculty (c. 815)?
- Who must have a mandate from the competent ecclesiastical authority (c. 812)?
- Who establishes an ecclesiastical university or ecclesiastical faculty (c. 816)?
Title IV - Instruments of Social Communication and Books in Particular (cc. 822-832)
- What kind of books can the competent ecclesiastical authority demand be submitted to his judgment (c. 823)?
- Who can approve books of Sacred Scripture (c. 825)?
- Who can permit the publishing of books of prayers (c. 826 §3)?
- In what cases must a book be submitted for ecclesiastical approval? In what cases is it recommended that a book be submitted for ecclesiastical approval (c. 827)?
Title V - The Profession of Faith (c. 833)
- Give some examples of persons who must make a profession of faith.